I took two months off between quitting my old job and starting my new job. On my to-do list for the sabbatical were the following, and this is how I got on.
Please bear in mind I was expecting this sabbatical to last at least 4 months, and actually it was a week and then 4 weeks… (interrupted by a week in the USA, and two weeks of full time mum mode with Supernanny out recovering from appendicitis):
- read 10 books – pfff. I opened and abandoned one, and have started but not abandoned 3 more.
- resurrect blog – done! Right at the end of the break, but it still counts, right?
- cook 10 new meals – definitely done. I like HelloFresh* and Gousto* for helping me switch up the meal planning
- go on 3 long bike rides – pfff. Not a single one. We did take the bikes to CenterParcs though.
- Walk at least 10 miles across London – who was I kidding?
- lose 8kg – yeah, right. Next!
- Start learning Italian again – ummm, nope.
- establish a gym habit – hmm. Start gym habit, sure. Establish – no.
- Run a sub-30 minute 5km – astonishingly, done! New shoes and a new route helped, as did a new podcast to listen to!
- Learn to write a website – I did a few website sessions but it’s painfully slow progress.
* There are referral benefits for these – if you want me to introduce you, drop me an email at email@example.com and I’ll set you up.
Less loftily, my specific Bullet Journal October tasks and goals were:
- Get a new job – done!
- Catch up on the family budget – done at some point early in October for the previous 6 months, and I’ve been keeping up since
- Get new clothes – done. I have been throwing out anything that doesn’t fit / I don’t like (a la Marie Kondo) and found myself somewhat short of clothes. A £100 spree at Marks and Spencer fixed that up.
- Get Bookmark to go to sleep in her bed – achieved on a few occasions, but not a solid habit yet, though we are doing pretty well so far in November despite teething and a horrible cold
- Go to Confession – done
- Sew 3 projects – I sewed two (a plastic shopping bag holder and some cleaning clothes that are flannellette on one side and a silly pattern on the other). I failed miserably at two skirts and got grumpy.
- Start a crochet project – done (earwarmers)! I even finished it too. Unfortunately it’s a bit small for me, and Bookmark doesn’t see the point in earwarmers.
- Sort the photos we have of Bookmark to date, and get a new canvas printed up – didn’t touch this one
- Practise 3 braid hairstyles – or this one!
On my November goal list is (some of them are the things I didn’t get done in the last few months!):
- Start new job (done!)
- Get Christmas shopping started and completed (urgh!)
- Get Bookmark to go to sleep by herself consistently
- Sew/crochet 3 new projects
- Practise 3 braid hairstyles
- Read and review 5 books
- Go on one long bike ride. See how I’m not defining “long”?
- Take Bookmark out on the bike at least once
- Finish the German Duolingo tree and have it all gold at once!
- Get started on another language’s Duolingo
- Look at other language learning tools e.g. Memrise, conversation tools
- Carry on with website learning
And on the November task list (I put less lofty aspirations here):
- Birthday present for Supernanny, whose birthday is a week before mine
- Sort the photos we have of Bookmark to date, and get a new canvas printed up
- Fix up my very broken cricket pads
Plenty to keep me busy!