So, as you must surely know by now, I have a Major Book Problem. I have over 800 unread volumes lying around, never mind the 200+ on my Kindle as well. And we’re about to move house.
A friend who has just moved house emailed me a photo of a 30-book-high pile the other day saying “these are going to the charity shop unless you want them?” – I took 15.
The Physicist is despairing. The new rule is “we’re not buying any more bookshelves”. Which is progress from “you can have one 6-foot Billy bookshelf”.
Anyhow – safe to say that Santa won’t be bringing me books this Christmas. But if I lived here (a £65m mansion in London – it’s worth clicking through just to ogle, there’s a great library with fireplace), what would be on my list for Santa?
– Elizabeth Wein – I loved Code Name Verity.
– Gretchen Rubin – I’ve really enjoyed The Happiness Project and Happier At Home.
– Kate Atkinson – When Will There Be Good News and Life After Life
– Curtis Sittenfeld’s American Wife (having enjoyed Sisterland)
– Jodi Picoult. She’s so addictive.
– everything by John Grisham, John le Carre, Robert Harris.
Oh, and my entire dead-tree book collection to be instantly on the Kindle too so that I can read it on the iPad when I’m out and about.
What did I miss?