Travelling/reading list

I’m off to lands Down Under tonight for a ten day catch-up with family, sunshine, seafood and my accent…

610416-Sydney Travel

What I was pleased to see on my airline’s website:

Personal Items

In addition to the carry-on baggage allowance, one of the following personal items may be carried in the cabin:

• A laptop computer^, handbag, pocketbook or purse (of reasonable size)
  • A wrap, a blanket, or an overcoat
  • An umbrella without metal points, or a walking stick
  • A small camera or a pair of binoculars
  • A reasonable amount of reading matter
  • A pair of crutches or prosthetic devices – for use, provided that the guest is dependent on them for mobility

What constitutes a reasonable amount for a 24 hour flight?

Well, I have currently packed as follows:

in the handluggage: Lavender Lies by Susan Witting Albert, The Adventure of the Christmas Pudding by Agatha Christie and The Confession by John Grisham. If you’re seeing a recurring theme of fluffy crime thriller, it’s because I hate flying and need to read something really absorbing!

one fully charged Kindle with 200+ review copies and one bought copy of The Night Watch  by Sarah Waters which I promised to participate in a read-along for before work hit me with the surprise crazy work hammer

one ancient iPod, fully charged, with an array of audiobooks on it

one slightly less ancient iPod, fully charged, with an array of podcasts

one not at all ancient iPad, fully charged, with an abundance of TV (Gilmore Girls seasons 6 and 7, Downton Abbey, Glee season 3) and movies (Hilary and Jackie, Death Becomes Her, Jane Eyre, Moneyball)

in the suitcase: Hangman’s Holiday by Dorothy L Sayers, Fair Play by Tove Jansson, Theodora by Stella Duffy (which I’ve been trying to read since July), Whatever Happened to Harold Absalon? by Simon Okotie. A nice variety to read in a cabin at Tuross Head

Oh and a laptop with a ton of work and some translation work.

Bye guys, see you in the New Year – RWT will resume on 10 January!

9 thoughts on “Travelling/reading list

1. Cori 27 December 2012 at 5:00 pm Reply

Have a fantastic trip! I hate flying too — hope your trip down there goes quickly!

2. kimbofo 27 December 2012 at 7:23 pm Reply

Ooooh, trying not to be envious. I would have loved to have gone to Oz festive season but at this time of year simply cannot afford the flight. I’m staying in a house on the Sussex coast instead! Have fun — and enjoy the sunshine!!

• readingwithtea 27 December 2012 at 8:11 pm Reply

Yes, the fares are crazy. However, I get all my holiday at this end of the year (Oct-Dec) so won’t have another change for at least 9 months to get down to see the aged grandparents. So off I go!

3. Liburuak 27 December 2012 at 7:30 pm Reply

Three iPods?! Wow, and here I was thinking I had a lot of gadgets… have a lovely time! Hope the flight doesn’t turn out too badly.

• readingwithtea 27 December 2012 at 8:10 pm Reply

It’s all about making sure that the total battery life is longer than the flight…

• kimbofo 27 December 2012 at 11:21 pm

Last couple of planes I’ve been on have had plugs in the headrest/entertainment unit to power iPods, iPads etc.

4. Jo @ Booklover Book Reviews 28 December 2012 at 2:29 am Reply

Hope you have a lovely holiday. I have never been to Tuross Head, but can imagine it will at least be a little cooler than the heat we’ve had here in Brisbane the last couple of weeks.

• readingwithtea 10 January 2013 at 3:57 pm Reply

Tuross was really lovely – a well set up caravan park on a lake with a nearby beach and town.

5. […] I went to Australia at New Year, I loaded up a ton of iDevices with auditory entertainment and ended up listening to about 2 hours […]