Challenges? Meh.

So, this year I signed up for a ton of challenges. And then completely failed to meet any of them. Quite a few of my books even have coloured sticky tabs on them to show which challenge they would fit.

While I enjoyed the idea of challenges and I liked to structure my reading a bit, I ran into trouble because:

– I received a ton of ARCs, and really enjoyed that. But it scuppered my challenges; I pretty much received ARCs at a rate that I could have read nothing else this year (and that’s without paying much attention to NetGalley)

– I worked really hard this year. This was the year in which the 50 hour work week became standard, I worked almost every weekend in the first 6 months of the year, I started working on the commute, thus axing my reading time

I expect both of those to continue next year. I’m also finishing my Open University degree next year, and trying to get a translation business off the ground (www.yeslanguages.co.uk, in case you’re wondering).

To that end, I’m not committing to any challenges next year. I might try a couple of them if I see a really good one, but I’m mostly going to steer clear.

7 thoughts on “Challenges? Meh.

1. Leeswammes 16 December 2012 at 5:51 pm Reply

Challenges are fun when they are a little difficult but possible to achieve. Otherwise they’re worthless. In your case, they were worthless. 🙂

I finished just one of 4 or 5 challenges for this year. I do like challenges that ask me to use books that I already own so my TBR went down a bit (and then filled with other books again).

I’m doing a few challenges in the new year that will help me to reduce the TBR further and that means I have to be careful not to accept too many ARCs! It’s just so tempting!

• readingwithtea 16 December 2012 at 10:36 pm Reply

Yes, I didn’t intend to buy more books in order to meet more challenges – I definitely had more than enough already!

2. Charlotte @ LitAddictedBrit 16 December 2012 at 9:58 pm Reply

I’ve been almost exactly the same this year – I only signed up for a few challenges for 2013 but I still didn’t manage to get anywhere near completing them! I’ve read some fabulous books this year though and like you I’ve been a lot busier at work so I’m not too sad about it! 🙂 I’m doing my best to resist all of the 2013 challenges because I just know that I won’t have the time to read for them but we’ll see…:-/

3. Simon T 17 December 2012 at 12:05 am Reply

I’m always wary of joining challenges, because I like my reading to be as spontaneous as possible – which is why A Century of Books proved so perfect a challenge for me, at least for the first ten months of the year. But only, I suppose, because I monumentally failed to read ARCs, except of reprinted books – but that was a decision I made a few years ago, to weight it towards older books.

• readingwithtea 17 December 2012 at 9:01 am Reply

Yes, it was the ARCs which really did for me this year – but they were so enjoyable!

4. JoV 17 December 2012 at 11:27 pm Reply

Same sentiment here. Workload is huge at work, that sort of ruin the joy of reading for me, especially working on weekends. Hope you have a a good break.

5. Iris 21 December 2012 at 11:41 pm Reply

I am often tempted to join challenges, and mostly end up joining, but then I almost always fail. I find that I like the list making (but I have always been an endless maker of lists), but am not very good at sticking to them. I like to read whatever appeals at that moment… The only challenge that works well for me are those that ask for direct interaction, and even with those I mostly like the interaction but not the “have to read this now” feeling. I think perhaps that is why I am not being very good with ARCs at the moment either. I love the idea of them, but with just starting my job I haven’t been very good at keeping up.