Musing Mondays – Distracted

This week’s Musing Mondays asks

What distracts you when you really should be reading?

I’m going to claim work as a primary distraction – when I’m super busy, I tend to work on the commute and during my lunch break, rather than reading.

Second distraction is definitely The Internet – Twitter, Google Reader, my own blog, Facebook – I can while away entire days on the Internet when I could be reading.

Now that we have Sky TV, the Physicist and I have started watching a bit more TV than we used to, not least because we have SkyPlus so we can record shows and watch them later – which means that now when I’m in the house by myself, I’ll watch TV over a meal rather than reading. Our favourite new series are New TricksThe NewsroomFranklin & Bash and of course all the old favourites – How I Met Your MotherThe Big Bang Theory etc.

House admin/work seems to get in the way quite a lot too – there’s always another bill to deal with/letter addressed to the landlady to redirect/grocery order to put through!

8 thoughts on “Musing Mondays – Distracted

1. Chinoiseries 2 October 2012 at 5:19 pm Reply

Hah! Work is indeed a major distraction 😉 What is reading on your commute like? Lately, I’ve been feeling annoyed by the loud students sharing my train :/ I haven’t heard of your new favourite shows, need to check those out 🙂 We’re so happy here that TV series season has started again!

• readingwithtea 2 October 2012 at 8:55 pm Reply

Reading on the commute is pretty good; I get on the train very early so I get a seat – in which case my fellow passengers are equally dazed City workers; or a bit later in which case it’s crowded, but I make sure I have my earphones and a book (and a dying soprano to listen to!). I recommend some in-ear earphones for improving your commute!

• Chinoiseries 2 October 2012 at 9:06 pm

Oh yes, headphones are a must! I always find myself with the wrong kind of music though… a dying soprano, hm? 😉

• readingwithtea 2 October 2012 at 9:07 pm

Definitely. I recommend Act 1 and Act 2 Scene 1 of La Traviata, or Act 3 of Tosca. If you have more time, the whole of Simon Boccanegra (I’ll admit, no sopranos die in that one).

• Chinoiseries 2 October 2012 at 9:09 pm

*Copying down* thanks! 🙂

2. Jo 2 October 2012 at 7:23 pm Reply

In the main probably TV, but when I am watching TV I can be sewing so I don’t see it wasted, just means I’m not reading.

Housework is another thing, would rather read than dust!

3. Elizabeth 2 October 2012 at 9:26 pm Reply

Checking e-mail distracts me….I HAVE to keep checking it. 🙂

Hope you can stop by my blog to read my post about the book conference I attended in New York City this past Saturday.

A giveaway is also directly below my Mailbox Monday post where the conference information is.

Elizabeth

Silver’s Reviews

4. Charlie 3 October 2012 at 12:16 pm Reply

Oh yes, the internet. The very thing that lets us discuss what we read, whilst stopping us reading! I’ve taken to turning my computer off when I decide to read. TV shows are a new distraction too, I ended up limiting it to a short chunk of time at the very end of the day.