BTT – Carry-ons

This week’s BTT is:

Do you bring the book(s) you’re reading with you when you go out? How?
Physically, or in an e-reader of some kind? Have your habits in this
regard changed?

If I’m going to be on public transport, without fail. This morning I have a large paperback (Lisa Jewell’s Before I Met You) in my bag as well as my Kindle. I’m trying to catch up on all the review copies I’ve been ignoring for the last few weeks months year.

If I’m cycling or going out in the car or with friends or only for a quick errand, I tend not to take a book as I won’t have any time to read it.

Whenever we went anywhere when I was little, my father would have a slim paperback stashed in a jacket pocket to give me when I got bored; forking out for number 82 of the Saddle Club series was a good investment because he knew it would fit perfectly into an inside jacket pocket. Then he spent another ten years doing the same thing for Mini-Me.

14 thoughts on “BTT – Carry-ons

1. Lizzy's Dark Fiction 27 September 2012 at 8:58 am Reply

I remember when I used to select books by size when traveling. It’s funny how an ereader makes all that irrelevant now.

• readingwithtea 27 September 2012 at 8:02 pm Reply

I still do, I just take the ereader with me too…

2. laurelrainsnow 27 September 2012 at 1:59 pm Reply

How sweet of your dad to foster/nourish the reading habit!

Here’s MY BTT POST

3. Tanya Patrice 27 September 2012 at 3:04 pm Reply

My dad is the one who fostered my reading habit too 🙂 And now I always have a book with me – also an audiobook on my iPod.

4. Charlie 27 September 2012 at 3:16 pm Reply

Oo, will you be reviewing the Jewell? I started it the other day but had other books to read first so put it away for the time being. It is pretty big, but the texture of the cover sort of makes up for it. Liking how your father thought ahead like that.

• readingwithtea 27 September 2012 at 8:02 pm Reply

I will. I have now read it. 5 books in 5 days. Go me.

5. Tribute Books Mama 27 September 2012 at 4:28 pm Reply
  6. Jo 27 September 2012 at 6:10 pm Reply

Yes I always have a book with me. Not if I am popping out to the supermarket or for a paper but the rest of the time.

I take a book to work, so I have something to read whilst on lunch. At the moment said book is so large I leave it there on a Monday and bring it back home on a Friday.

When I got to my mums, I always have a book in my bag. Doctors waiting rooms, etc always a book sometimes my kindle.

I don’t read in my journey to work though – I drive, I think it might be dangerous!

7. jatvla 27 September 2012 at 10:44 pm Reply

I always have a book with me. I have a lovely book bag, bought at my local book store and made in Bangladesh, that keeps my books in good condition no matter where I take them. I just never know when I will have a few minutes to read and can’t bear the thought of not being able to if those minutes arise! I have books down loaded on my Sony tablet but I’d still rather read my hard copy books.

8. wcs53 28 September 2012 at 1:38 am Reply

That’s pretty awesome that your dad did that for you. I can’t go far without a book. My BTT:

9. Chinoiseries 28 September 2012 at 10:02 am Reply

Is that where your love for books comes from, Yvann, from the slim volumes hidden in your father’s pockets? 🙂 I wish my dad was more of a reader, but at least my parents always took us to the library whenever we asked for it, without complaining.

Good luck catching up with your review copies, I’m hoping that these are books you are looking forward to reading?

• readingwithtea 28 September 2012 at 11:16 am Reply

My love of books was born very early. My parents realised I was very content with my own company if I had a book, and given how frequently I re-read books, they were considerably cheaper than babysitters! Both my parents are avid readers and, especially in my father’s case, buyers… there’s a reason I call him The Book Accumulator!

10. Nose in a book 4 October 2012 at 10:46 pm Reply

Oh absolutely. I feel naked if I go out without a book, though at the very least I have my phone on me, with mp3s of an audio book and the latest bookish podcasts 🙂 But generally I have a physical book on me too.