Eat, Pray, Love – ?

The battered paperback on my desk proudly proclaims that over 6 million copies of it have been sold worldwide. I’m not sure why, except for the extraordinary power of hype.

I was going to post a long rant here, but it is autobiographical and I was taught that if you haven’t got anything nice to say, don’t say anything.

Anyone read it? Loved it? What did I miss?

11 thoughts on “Eat, Pray, Love – ?

1. Leeswammes 18 September 2012 at 6:12 pm Reply

I enjoyed this book a lot. Except for all the meditation, I didn’t like that. I didn’t read it because of the hype but I did read it despite the hype. And I was surprised how much I liked it .Why? I don’t know. Just the personal story of someone trying to do something different, maybe.

• readingwithtea 18 September 2012 at 10:15 pm Reply

Really glad you enjoyed it – I didn’t have the patience for it but memoirs are usually quite fun.

2. Jo 18 September 2012 at 7:33 pm Reply

I disliked it. Couldn’t see we what all the fuss was about. But as you say if you can’t say anything nice, don’t say anything.

3. christina 19 September 2012 at 11:29 am Reply

Like you, I had NO patience for this book. I don’t even think that I made it through 50 pages. Also, the film? Yeah, I clicked that one off as well. I don’t get it…other than gen pop is looking for an answer to “the happiness of life” question and the thought of being able to just pick up and go to these places is appealing?

• readingwithtea 19 September 2012 at 11:35 am Reply

Well that is true – it must be intoxicating to have the freedom of the globe.

4. sakura 19 September 2012 at 12:05 pm Reply

I enjoyed the bits about India but I couldn’t really relate to most of it or to her. But it was alright it, I didn’t hate it.

• readingwithtea 19 September 2012 at 12:09 pm Reply

I do struggle with a memoir where I can’t relate.

5. Kim 19 September 2012 at 7:31 pm Reply

i enjoyed it immensely. i read about it in a spiritual magazine when it came out and i loved the idea of a memoir about a travelling soulsearching lady. it is exactly that. it’s honest and, well, it’s a memoir.
    it’s easy to hate it, i guess.

• readingwithtea 19 September 2012 at 8:03 pm Reply

I’m really pleased that people are being positive about this book in the comments – tells me I’m impatient rather than that 6 million people wasted their money!

6. JoV 19 September 2012 at 8:37 pm Reply

I like it. especially the Italy and the Bali chapter. I thought she is very honest and funny and applaud her for seeking peace by travelling and see different part of the world and do something about her life, than wallow in her loss and misery.

• readingwithtea 19 September 2012 at 8:42 pm Reply

That’s an interesting perspective – and one I like.