Musing Mondays – Unfamiliar Words

This week’s Musing Mondays asks

If you come across an unfamiliar word, do you stop and look it up right away?

Never. I might note it with a sticky tab and look it up later if I wasn’t able to understand its meaning from the context, but I would never stop reading to look a word up.

However, I might well stop to look up a concept or event on Wikipedia, particularly if it is important to the story (eg. the assassination of the human rights activist in The Help, whose name, I am ashamed to admit, escapes me).

I don’t read much non-fiction and I have very little patience for difficult fiction, so I don’t run across all that many unfamiliar words!

8 thoughts on “Musing Mondays – Unfamiliar Words

1. Caite@a lovely shore breeze 28 May 2012 at 11:07 pm Reply

Yes, I will look other things up, but not a word really.

2. AKMamma 29 May 2012 at 12:19 am Reply

I love my words! SO I can admit to be a word-hound!HERE IS MY MM

3. christina 29 May 2012 at 12:35 am Reply

I am 100% with you on what I will and won’t look up. If it is uber relevant to the book, like scenery that I’m not familiar with or a historical event I will stop what I’m doing. Words, not so much. I wish I **would** because I think that my vocabulary has probably become rather stale, but most books just hold my attention, I don’t want to force a break.

4. Only if I’m on my Kindle, which has a dictionary feature 🙂

• readingwithtea 29 May 2012 at 7:32 am Reply

Good point! That feature is always getting in my way when I make notes!

5. Violet 29 May 2012 at 8:30 am Reply

Just try and stop me from looking up an unfamiliar word! I think it’s a great way to expand my vocabulary and there are so many wonderful words I don’t know. I’ve always been a word hound. I may even have a notebook full of unusual words.

• readingwithtea 29 May 2012 at 11:36 am Reply

That’s great! I love that there are some people out there who are totally unlike me. I just hate breaking the flow of the reading – but I love the idea of a Notebook of Noteworthy Words…

6. Nose in a book 7 June 2012 at 11:01 pm Reply

Same answer as you really, I don’t usually stop to look up words, I’m happy to figure it out from context. But historical events or people I often will look up later.