BTT – Pet Names

This week’s BTT is:

Do you have any pet that has a name inspired by your readings?

If not, what would you pick if you DID?

Do any of your friends have book-based names for their pets? (Or their children?)

No, my pets are/were called Mandy and Mindy. Imaginative, I know. I plead the fact that I was 6 when we got them.

The Physicist decided long ago that if I am to be allowed a cat in a house in which he lives, it must be called Yoda and I must only speak to it Yoda-style (“Feed you I shall” “The fur is soft with this one” etc). So that may or may not put paid to any literary pet naming.

I would definitely name a large dog Timmy and a small one Scamper, after the dogs in Famous Five and Secret Seven respectively. I think I’d call a cat something glamorous like Estella or Antigone or Hermione, but equally it could be Ron.

As for children – being blessed/cursed with an… unusual… name myself, I’m greatly in favour of the old-fashioned, dime-a-dozen names! I love that Dead White Guys has named her boys after two well-loved literary characters; I’m not sure I’m that brave!

6 thoughts on “BTT – Pet Names

1. Lorren 25 May 2012 at 7:03 pm Reply

I love your name!

My husband and I have book-based names for our fetus-child… the boy one is straight from the book East of Eden, and the girl one is my favorite character in a book I really liked (The Story Girl, although we chose that name more just because we like the name than because of the book connection). We’ll see what it ends up being. I didn’t plan on using book names, but I kind of love that we are going to.

• readingwithtea 25 May 2012 at 7:37 pm Reply

Ha – most people who don’t have to spell their name to insurance companies and banks every time they ring up, love unusual names! But yours has quite an unusual spelling?
      Cool that you’ve found literary names for the fetuschild 🙂

2. Isabella 25 May 2012 at 11:23 pm Reply

I had a cat named Calvino — I tried out several other nonliterary names but this one just felt right. I wouldn’t do it again though — it got a bit tiresome, and even embarrassing, explaining the name to nonliterary friends.

3. Liburuak 26 May 2012 at 6:08 pm Reply

When I was little, I had a guinea pig named Dolly after the main character in the German translation of Malory Towers (one of the annoying things they did in the translation was to re-name all the characters, thus making it impossibly difficult for me to have a conversation about them with my British friends). So Darrell became Dolly in the German version, and my addiction to the series manifested itself in the name of my first pet 🙂

• readingwithtea 26 May 2012 at 6:11 pm Reply

That would have made me crazy – the changing of all the names. But I think it’s sweet that you named your pet after Darrell/Dolly – she’s a general good egg 🙂

4. Nose in a book 31 May 2012 at 1:50 pm Reply

We don’t have pets yet, but Tim and I decided years ago on our first three dog names, all with geeky logic behind them: Beckett, Saxon and Seymour. One day, one day.