Musing Mondays – Time to stop

This week’s Musing Monday asks:

Do you tend to read to the end of a chapter or can you stop anywhere?

So many memories of telling The Book Accumulator that I’d stop and go to sleep once I just finished this chapter… only to go flying past the chapter and on for another half hour – totally unintentionally! It turns out that I pay very little attention to chapter breaks (except when they are every three pages!) so there’s no point telling myself I’ll read to the end of a chapter.

I do a large amount of my reading on the Tube/bus/aeroplane and therefore *have* to get off at a particular point, I would constantly be missing my stop if I wanted to finish the chapter! And if I’m reading in the evenings, I have to put the book down whenever it occurs to me that it’s bedtime, otherwise I will keep reading into the wee hours (as I did twice last week!)

6 thoughts on “Musing Mondays – Time to stop

1. Amy 14 May 2012 at 1:53 pm Reply

I LOVE your answer – thank you for sharing! 🙂

Here’s Mine:

2. Gigi Ann 14 May 2012 at 2:36 pm Reply

I am a whatever kind of reader as far as having to stop at the end of the chapter. It is always nice if I can, but in the real world that isn’t always possible.

3. Kwizgiver 15 May 2012 at 12:20 am Reply

I wish I was a reader like you–but I’m a chapter finisher.

4. Tia Bach 15 May 2012 at 4:36 am Reply

Good point. When I use to commute to work on the El in Chicago, I read until the last second and dog-eared the page! My MM: http://etjrmbach.blogspot.com/2012/05/proper-place-to-stop-musing-mondays.html

5. Nose in a book 21 May 2012 at 6:59 pm Reply

I pause at chapter breaks but rarely stop there. I try to stop at the bottom of a right-hand page so when I start again I know exactly where I was but I often fail at that too.

6. jmchshannon 22 May 2012 at 2:43 am Reply

I do try to stop at chapter breaks if I know I have to stop reading. Otherwise, I try to stop at built-in breaks in the narrative.It makes it so much easier to pick back up when you return to the book.