This week’s Musing Mondays, hosted by MizB at Should Be Reading, is:
Why do you think that the Young Adult genre is so popular with even the adult readers? Do you read YA books, yourself?
I’m not a big reader of YA novels although Mini-Me has lent me a large pile of the more famous ones (The Hunger Games, Delirium, The Knife of Never Letting Go) to read, because you can’t judge until you’ve read, I think. (*I reserve the right to be snooty about Twilight without reading any of it or watching any of the books*).
I think YA is hugely popular for a number of reasons:
– plots are simpler and cleaner
– characters are more clear-cut
– there is a good and a bad and the good side usually wins
– there is much less violence, profanity and sexual content, which is a relief!
– they’re easier to read – a YA novel will keep me occupied for little over an hour, with background distractions, easy to put down and pick up again…