Musing Mondays – Collections

Are you currently collecting any authors? Why?  Do you have all of their books? If not, why not?  Did you buy all the books in the collection at the same time, or did you buy a book here, a book there? Have you actually read all of the collection? If not, why not?

• Elizabeth Peters’ Amelia Peabody series
  • Sue Grafton’s “A is for…” Kinsey Millhone series
  • Clive Cussler’s Oregon series
  • Anything by David Mitchell
  • Anything by Philippa Gregory
  • Anything by Maggie O’Farrell
In the first two cases it’s because I have read some of the books and want to collect the series in order to read it in order and in quick succession. I love Cussler’s adventure-ish (different from adventurous, I think) writing but I much prefer the cast of the Oregon series to his other series. And the David Mitchell (Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet), Philippa Gregory (Cousins’ War: Red Queen, White Queen, Lady of the Rivers) and Maggie O’Farrell (The Hand that First Held Mine, The Distance Between Us) obsessions are caused by having really enjoyed something that they read (see the links) and wanting to try out a bit more.
I haven’t gone into a bookshop and bought everything in the series I could find (although I used to do that when I was younger; I had an uncanny gift for remembering exactly which numbers in the Saddle Club series I already owned, and visits to bookshops usually resulted in “Daddy, look, they’ve got numbers 23, 87 and 54 which I don’t have, please please please can I have them???”); I have simply put them on my wishlist on Bookmooch and mooched them as they came up. In 2 1/2 months I’ve picked up 16 of the 20 Amelia Peabody books and I’m only missing 2 of the Sue Grafton series; I’m hoping to have both finished for a Christmas/New Year reading binge.
I save Clive for aeroplane trips, as I need something suitably compelling to keep my mind off the flying tube of death issue, and I’ll read the other ones (Mitchell, Gregory etc) as and when I get to them – no great rush.

9 thoughts on “Musing Mondays – Collections

1. verityjdo 14 November 2011 at 2:20 pm Reply

Flying tube of death – that is exactly how I feel. Already getting nervous about Tenerife….

• readingwithtea 14 November 2011 at 3:47 pm Reply

The key is to get some absolutely riveting books, plug in earphones and ignore the world until you land.

2. Palm Trees & Bare Feet 14 November 2011 at 3:20 pm Reply
  3. kristilyn 14 November 2011 at 3:34 pm Reply

I have a few Philippa Gregory books on my shelves, but haven’t read them. I just saw The Red Queen at the bookstore, though, and it looks great! I’ll have to give her a try.

• readingwithtea 14 November 2011 at 3:48 pm Reply

I would actually start with Lady of the Rivers – I think it makes most sense to read the books in chronological order of their events.

4. Valentina 14 November 2011 at 6:01 pm Reply

Maggie O’Farrell is wonderful 🙂

Here’s mine:

5. Stephanie @ Read in a Single Sitting 14 November 2011 at 11:02 pm Reply

Oh, I love Maggie O’Farrell! I have collections of China Mieville, Haruki Murakami, and Charles de Lint, and due to being sent review copies I have just about everything by Allie Carter, Rick Riordan and Michael Grant. Hehe.

6. bookaddictkatie 29 November 2011 at 5:22 pm Reply

I am absolutely in LOVE with Elizabeth Peters. I have read everything she has ever written under all of her names. (Barbara Michaels and Barbara Mertz) Good luck with your quest!

• readingwithtea 29 November 2011 at 5:33 pm Reply

Did NOT know that she had other pennames! Will have to broaden my search!