Sunday Salon – solitary

Good morrow, fair readers! (or, you know, insert time of day here if you’re not in Europe)

This week I have worked, and cycled (65 miles in 5 days), and gone to a super-duper fancy cricket dinner given in honour of 22 of the world’s greatest fast bowlers, which was basically an excuse for me to be a cricket nerd, to hang out with a good friend (The German) and my dad (The Book Accumulator), breathing the same air as Sir Richard Hadlee, Sir Garfield Sobers, Jeff Thomson, the entire West Indian bowling attack of the 1980s/1990s, and my hero, Glenn McGrath. You tell me McGrath’s not one of the greatest fast bowlers of all time, there will be fisticuffs.

Moving swiftly on because if you don’t live in the UK or Australia you’re highly unlikely to have understood much of that last paragraph…

I continued my Philippa Gregory binge this week with The Red Queen, the first in the Cousins’ War series. Not as good as The Lady of the Rivers, I think. I’m quite hopeful for The White Queen being the best of the lot.

And 2 DNFs – After the Rains by Emily Barroso was impenetrable because of the dialect usage, and Almost Blue by Carlo Lucarelli, which jumped perspectives so frequently that I couldn’t keep up.

I have a super-exciting announcement to make on Tuesday; until then I’ll be doing my Italian coursework and eating my homemade meringues (which were actually only made to use up the egg whites left from making an apple tart from scratch including creme patissiere, but actually turned out quite yummy!) as I am all on my lonesome this weekend… The Physicist has pootled off home to Edinburgh to play bridge. I am loyally watching the Scottish rugby match anyway.

See you later…

8 thoughts on “Sunday Salon – solitary

1. Iris 25 September 2011 at 10:37 am Reply

That paragraph about cricket was very hard to follow, yes 🙂

Good luck on the Italian homework. How did the apple tart turn out?

I only read one Philippa Gregory book and somehow never really picked up another one. I don’t know. I do have the review copy of The Lady of the Rivers waiting, but I’m not sure I’ll get to it in time. I really need a break from review books for a few days.

• readingwithtea 25 September 2011 at 11:56 am Reply

Haven’t got as far as putting the apple tart together yet – the components needed to rest overnight (and so did I).

2. Verity 25 September 2011 at 12:39 pm Reply

I am super excited about your announcement!!

Also, I am english and I didn’t understand the cricket paraggraph 😦

• readingwithtea 25 September 2011 at 3:52 pm Reply

I fear I’ve oversold my announcement already 🙂 it’s blog-related, fear not.

3. Angela 25 September 2011 at 1:12 pm Reply

I don’t live in the UK, but my secret (not really, when I open my mouth) I’m a Londoner living in NYC. I truly connect with your cricket love, having West Indian parents and a dad who was obsessed with cricket. I was always torn when England played the West Indies.

• readingwithtea 25 September 2011 at 3:53 pm Reply

You would have loved this dinner.
      England – Ted Dexter, Bob Willis, Jon Snow, Devon Malcolm
      WI – Joel Garner, Michael Holding, Colin Croft, Andy Roberts, Curtly Ambrose, Courtney Walsh, Gary Sobers.
      It was quite awe-inspiring.

4. Mini-Me 25 September 2011 at 3:13 pm Reply

The Book Accumulator was very excitedly talking the cricket dinner at lunch today. Even I have to admit meeting McGrath would have been pretty cool… 🙂 enjoy the meringues!

• readingwithtea 25 September 2011 at 3:52 pm Reply

I was too shy to actually go up to him, and I have his autograph from 2001 anyway, but TBA went and spoke to him 🙂 The meringues are amazing. There are meringue crumbs everywhere now.