BTT – Fluff

You’ve just had a long, hard, exhausting day, and all you want to do is curl up with something light, fun, easy, fluffy, distracting, and entertaining.

What book do you pick up?

Any regular readers of this blog will know that my bread and butter fluff belongs to the crime and thriller genre, although they vary from the genteel M. C. Beaton mysteries, through the Chicago or Santa Monica-set private investigator novels featuring mid-30s women hunting down the bad guy single-handedly (see below), past gritty police procedurals like Taboo into the deep, dark and nasty (e.g. Stieg Larsson’s Millennium Trilogy).

Occasionally (although less now), I might dip into what I call “archeological thrillers” – Clive-Cussler-style adventures which invariably involve protracted shoot-outs, recovery of some ancient artefact or fact about humanity, and at least 5 global locations on at least 3 continents. I’m reading these less and less now because so many of them are just ridiculous and pretty poorly written.

After a tough day’s accounting, I suppose I would be most likely to reach into the oeuvre of Sara Paretsky, Sue Grafton and, most recently, Janet Evanovich, to forget my numbers as I follow their private investigator lasses Vic Warshawski, Kinsey Millhone and Stephanie Plum (respectively) around big bad North American cities.

My mother (The Musician) and I have long traded Paretsky’s novels, and I have no idea which ones I’ve read, in what order, which ones I’ve missed… and I’m not terribly concerned about about fixing that. At the other end of the scale, I have loved Grafton’s novels for a long time, but I seem to have read A and B and a smattering from the middle of the alphabet multiple times (her books are titled A is for Alibi, B is for Burglar etc… she’s up to U is for Untertow now), so I’m making a concerted effort, much to The Physicist’s despair as I steadily move outside that one bookcase limit, to collect the whole series and then go on a full-on Kinsey spree. I foresee this happening about November.

I only started reading Evanovich’s novels recently, but having rather enjoyed One for the Money, Two for the Dough has now arrived at Maison RFBT and I intend to tuck in shortly.

8 thoughts on “BTT – Fluff

1. Ellen Rhudy 19 August 2011 at 9:53 am Reply

I read A & B from Sue Grafton a couple months ago and was surprised by how much I liked them. I can see her books (and, who knows, maybe the broader “genre” of female detectives, being awesome, in american cities) turning into my comfort reading over coming years. your post is the perfect reminder that it’s time i see if I can get my hands on C.

• readingwithtea 19 August 2011 at 6:47 pm Reply

If you like the Grafton books, you’ll enjoy Paretsky’s – Evanovich’s are a little darker (from the one that I’ve read) but you might enjoy them too.

2. The Book Whisperer 19 August 2011 at 2:54 pm Reply

I have all the Grafton books on my kindle (a friend gave me them all on disc) but I haven’t started them yet. Maybe I should move them up my pile? I always like finding new comfort reading books 🙂

3. Tea drinking accomplice 20 August 2011 at 12:13 am Reply

Have you read Susan Hill’s crime novels? I can lend if not – I love them.

• readingwithtea 20 August 2011 at 11:45 am Reply

I haven’t! Nor have I ever read any Ian Rankin. Next time there is a tea meeting, there will be another book exchange (I might finally have read The Help!… Unlikely…) I love the moniker you chose, is this an indication you want to be added to the Dramatis Personae page?

4. Tea drinking accomplice 21 August 2011 at 12:35 am Reply

I think they are at my parents’ but will bring them down next time I am up there. And shall also read the books you’ve kindly lent me! In terms of moniker, I just felt like being cryptic/anonymous (though clearly not to you!!) rather than harbouring any dramatis personae aspirations.. but of course it would be an honour. Happy tea drinking 🙂

• readingwithtea 21 August 2011 at 9:26 am Reply

Well, we’ll see whether you make any further appearances and therefore whether you earn yourself a DP spot 🙂