Book buying binge

Um, so, hi to anyone who came over here after Kim very kindly featured me on her Triple Choice Tuesday, and has then been disappointed by my radio silence since then. In my defence, I have career-defining exams Monday-Wednesday of next week and have not read ANYTHING since yonks ago. Eons ago. Normal service to resume next Thursday.

In the meantime, I went for a little jaunt with The Temporarily Resident Sydneysider (still in need of a better nickname…) to Notting Hill Book Exchange, which has been my downfall before, and picked up a few, so I thought I’d show off the latest incoming books:

The books are, left to right:

David Guterson’s Our Lady of the Forest – I loved Snow Falling on Cedars

Keri Hulme’s The Bone People – people talk about this ALL the time.

Lionel Shriver’s We Need To Talk About Kevin – I can’t believe I haven’t read this

Edna O’Brien’s Time and Tide – set in London, looked a good read

Alice Munro’s Open Secrets – I know nothing about Munro apart from that she was all over the bookish news a year or so ago.

Anita Brookner’s Fraud – I totally failed to participate in International Anita Brookner Day on Saturday (again, I blame those pesky exams, I deliberately bought a stack of Brookners last time I went to NHBE)

Nicole Krauss’ The History of Love – after all the coverage of Great House, I wanted to ease into Krauss’ writing with something less amazing.

Patricia Highsmith’s The Talented Mr Ripley – famous film

Kazuo Ishiguro’s Never Let Me Go – despite my disastrous experience with A Pale View of Hills, this is a seminal work and I desperately want to watch the film but I have to read the book first. I think.

After that come two hardbacks kindly sent for review by Viking in New York, Brandi Lynn Ryder’s In Malice, So Close and Gordon Reece’s Mice, both of which look a little out of my usual zone but very interesting.

So there you go, many books and a bit of Moroccan mint tea.

7 thoughts on “Book buying binge

1. The Book Whisperer 22 July 2011 at 10:36 pm Reply

We Need to Talk About Kevin is a fantastic book! Can’t wait to hear what you think.

• readingwithtea 22 July 2011 at 10:54 pm Reply

I know – I have heard SO MUCH about it and somehow not bought it before.

2. Iris 22 July 2011 at 10:50 pm Reply

You are kidding about “The History of Love” being less amazing, right? I know, some people like Great House Better than History, but I think I liked History better.

I bought Never Let me Go in that edition on a recent book buying binge myself (I have avoided posting about this binge). And you’re not alone, I haven’t read “We Need To Talk About Kevin” yet either. You’re actually ahead of me – I don’t even own it 🙂

Also, hello! You just added me on twitter and given that your name features reading & tea I was instantly sold.

• readingwithtea 22 July 2011 at 10:55 pm Reply

Sorry – should have said “less critically acclaimed”! There was another copy at NHBE for 50p, I would have picked it up for you if I’d known of you earlier this evening…
      And hello right back at you!

3. Booklover Book Reviews 23 July 2011 at 3:12 am Reply

I admit it… I haven’t yet read any of those must reads you picked up in this great haul, Ishiguro, Krauss, Shriver… I hope to rectify that soon…

All the best for your CA exams!

4. Eva 24 July 2011 at 1:06 am Reply

I’m a huge Ishiguro fan, but A Pale View of Hills is v different from his later works (except for The Unconsoled: I haven’t read it but I gather it’s also v oblique). So I suspect you’ll have better luck with Never Let Me Go! Remains of the Day and An Artist in a Floating World are also more straightforward. When We Were Orphans gets into iffier territory. Anyway, I hope you do enjoy Never Let Me Go. 😉

I love the composition of the photograph you took! Now I want to take one like that: so striking. 😀

• readingwithtea 24 July 2011 at 11:00 am Reply

Good to know re NLMG.
      And thanks re the photo! I am trying to get tea into most of my book photos now, given the name of the blog, but am still very much a photography novice!