BTT – Size Matters

It must be a while since I did a BTT, as my list of most recent posts doesn’t include one! Without further ado, today’s question is:

What’s the largest your personal library has ever been? What’s the greatest number of books you’ve ever owned at one time? (Estimates are fine.)

Is your collection NOW the biggest it’s ever been? Or have you down-sized?

What’s the fewest number of books you’ve ever owned (not counting your pre-reading years)?

The collection is probably at its largest now – I have one six-foot bookcase which is absolutely stuffed to capacity, and a few books on top of/beside it. LibraryThing tells me I have 432 books in those shelves. In the last year I’ve had more books on top of it, but I don’t think it would have got past 500 at any point.

I may have owned more books as  a child/early teenager – I had 2 six-foot IKEA Billy bookcases in my room from the age of 8 to 17, but I remember that from ages 8-12 they were pretty full (admittedly, of Enid Blyton, Saddle Club and Thoroughbred series books…). However, I’m pretty sure that they didn’t come close to the double-stacking, books-on-top, books-sticking-out madness of my current shelves.

My fewest books owned was probably at the start of university – I hadn’t been reading much fiction for quite a while, most of my books from my high school years went into storage to go to my sister, and I didn’t have enough money at uni to buy many books (or time to read them!). I’d guess it was down to around 100 at that time.

I’m amused by the idea of “my pre-reading years” – some of my earlier memories involve a bookshelf of sorts in my room – it only had picture books in it but I definitely remember the black wire-steel-cage bookcase!

18 thoughts on “BTT – Size Matters

1. gautami tripathy 30 June 2011 at 11:19 am Reply

I owned more three years back. Now I downsized…!!

2. Ludy 30 June 2011 at 12:18 pm Reply

Oy, double stacked!

Now that you mention it, I remember the bookshelf from my pre-reading days too. My parents reserved the bottom section of a record cabinet for oversized picture books, where they fit perfectly and were at (my) eye level. I haven’t thought of that in years. All those Richard Scarrys! 🙂

• readingwithtea 30 June 2011 at 12:26 pm Reply

I know it’s bad to double-stack, but I only have one bookcase. What’s a girl to do?

3. Nicolette 30 June 2011 at 12:20 pm Reply

I own a lot of books… try to downsize the odd time… http://unicornslaststand.blogspot.com/

4. Lisa (Lisa's World of Books) 30 June 2011 at 1:47 pm Reply

I love thinking about what books I owned as a kid. Fun!

My BTT answer.

• readingwithtea 30 June 2011 at 2:21 pm Reply

I can’t remember most of them! I remember the series that I spent years collecting, but not the one-off books.

5. Kristy 30 June 2011 at 1:52 pm Reply

Ha ha, I know all about creative stacking of books! I’m so glad my husband made me a large bookcase a few years ago. He is welcome to make another one anytime he likes. 🙂

• readingwithtea 30 June 2011 at 2:22 pm Reply

A husband who builds you bookcases?? Aren’t you lucky!

6. laurelrainsnow 30 June 2011 at 2:42 pm Reply

Yes, I can’t remember “prereading” years, since I’ve always had a book. But I didn’t always own them. Here’s MY BTT POST

• readingwithtea 30 June 2011 at 3:45 pm Reply

So many of us do have very early memories involving books…

7. mary Ann Langan 30 June 2011 at 4:50 pm Reply
  8. readerbuzz 30 June 2011 at 5:25 pm Reply

I wish I’d had a big collection when I was a child. My mom was a big believer in library books. 😦

Ubiquitous…that’s books for me…Booking Through Thursday: Size Matters.

• readingwithtea 30 June 2011 at 9:59 pm Reply

I grew up too far away from libraries – and our local ones weren’t all that exciting. I would have loved to be somewhere that did all the children’s events that libraries do these days.

9. Dorothy W. 2 July 2011 at 12:34 am Reply

Librarything says I own 1,115 books, although that doesn’t include most of my husband’s books (meaning those I haven’t read). That’s definitely the most I’ve ever owned. I didn’t own many until grad school, and it’s only since blogging (!) that my library size has exploded. Seriously, I’ve probably gotten at least half of those since I began blogging in 2006.

• readingwithtea 2 July 2011 at 12:38 pm Reply

Yes blogging has definitely had something to do with my acquisition rate too!