BTT – Age Appropriate

This week’s Booking Through Thursday:

Do you read books “meant” for other age groups? Adult books when you were a child; Young-Adult books now that you’re grown; Picture books just for kicks … You know … books not “meant” for you. Or do you pretty much stick to what’s written for people your age?

As a child I often read more adult books than maybe I should have – I was tearing through John Grisham aged 12 and read Tess of the D’Urbervilles at 13 (not that I remember understanding very much of it). I listened to Jane Eyre when I was about 10 (although I suspect this must have been an abridged version).

These days I am just starting to get into Young Adult books: having read the excellent Elsewhere by Gabrielle Zevin, intending to vet it for my younger sister, I found that I really enjoyed it. I recently read and reviewed (post to come soon) The Goddess Test which is another excellent YA novel. I’m hoping to get my hands on a few more via my sister!

15 thoughts on “BTT – Age Appropriate

1. Karen 12 May 2011 at 9:22 pm Reply

I was the same. I read John Grisham at quite a young age as well as Jane Austen and Charles Dickens. I would also read YA at that time and my little sister’s books.

• readingwithtea 13 May 2011 at 9:01 am Reply

I suspect the BTT question came about because a lot of us were the same!

2. The Book Mystress 12 May 2011 at 9:50 pm Reply

Great response, i really need to read son Charles dickens and Jane Austen, never get around to it

• readingwithtea 13 May 2011 at 9:02 am Reply

This blog started because I was determined to read all the classics. I started alphabetically and got stuck when I got to Dickens!

3. Meg @ A Bookish Affair 12 May 2011 at 10:10 pm Reply

Yes! For whatever reason, I loved John Grisham books when I was in middle and high school. My teachers always thought I was a very strange child.

Here’s what I had to say: http://abookishaffair.blogspot.com/2011/05/booking-through-thursday-may-12-2011.html

• readingwithtea 13 May 2011 at 9:03 am Reply

Teachers invariably thought I was strange… not always for book-related matters though!

4. Col (Col Reads) 12 May 2011 at 11:42 pm Reply

You made me think about the summer when I was 14, and my uncle handed me my first Ludlum novel — I think it was The Osterman Weekend. What a thrill. Thanks for bringing that memory back.

5. laurelrainsnow 12 May 2011 at 11:53 pm Reply

Yes, I read older books as a youngster…and then in college, took a children’s literature class and read picture books and middle grade books! LOL

I am drawn to characters and storylines. Here’s MY BTT2 POST

6. Mama Zen 13 May 2011 at 1:05 am Reply

I started reading Stephen King at about that age. Maybe not the best idea!

7. Shirley 13 May 2011 at 2:23 am Reply

I love John Grisham as an adult. As a teen I read Stephen King and what my mom had in the house. I belonged to a bookclub that allowed me to order books by mail so that definitely broadened my horizons. I still have the Betty Crocker Cookbook that I bought at 16.

8. mary Ann Langan 13 May 2011 at 2:39 am Reply

yes, it would get boring if you didn’t mix it up.

9. "Confuzzled" Shannon 13 May 2011 at 3:43 am Reply

I really want to read the Goddess Test.. Looks so good!

10. Cindy Swanson 13 May 2011 at 5:43 am Reply

YA seems like it’s really coming into its own as a genre these days!

Hope you’ll stop by my BTT post and say hello…

Cindy’s Book Club

11. Angela 4 June 2011 at 2:22 pm Reply

As a teenager I remember reading Harold Robbins and at an earlier age in primary school at about age 10, my English teacher reading to us Beowulf.