BTT – Cover

This week’s Booking Through Thursday:

CAN you judge a book by its cover?

In most cases, I think one can judge at least genre from the cover:

Fun, university theme

Mystery – dead body discovered.

Thriller. Lots of shooting.

Romance, set in the countryside, historical fiction?

But pretty much anything one might consider literary fiction (I know those are controversial words to be bandying about) tends to have a very strong cover image and is completely unjudgeable from the cover:

And it’s nearly impossible to make a judgement on quality based on the cover (above the basics of production quality).

10 thoughts on “BTT – Cover

1. Karen 21 April 2011 at 11:32 am Reply

Interesting, I you took the question in a different direction from me. Certainly made me think. Yes, I agree, you can usually judge what a genre book is going to be about based on the cover and litarary fiction not so much. I picked up A.S. Byatt’s “The Children’s Book” because I fell in love with the cover (I did read the blurb too mind you). It gave no clue as to what the book was about though but I still enjoyed it.

2. Pepca 21 April 2011 at 12:55 pm Reply

Perhaps you can guess the genre from the cover, but not the quality of content. My BTT: http://beyondstrangenewwords.blogspot.com/2011/04/booking-through-thursday-cover.html

3. Anna D. 21 April 2011 at 2:05 pm Reply

Great answer – this is so true!
    Also, I noticed you’re reading Bel Canto. I loved the book – hope you like it too!
    Happy Thursday. (:

4. Book Nympho 21 April 2011 at 2:34 pm Reply

I agree, usually you can at least determine the genre, although not always. Lots of great picture examples! 🙂

5. laurelrainsnow 21 April 2011 at 2:54 pm Reply

Good answers…love those covers that illustrate your points.

Here’s MY BTT POST

6. dragonflyy419 21 April 2011 at 3:00 pm Reply

I agree quality is impossible to judge based on the cover, but good point about judging genre.

7. Sally 21 April 2011 at 6:42 pm Reply

I also think that in lots of case all you can judge from the cover is genre.
    Sally.

8. iwriteinbooks 21 April 2011 at 7:47 pm Reply

Ah, thanks for the visuals! This is along the same lines as my answer. I think genres have really worked out their covers pretty well, though the actual details of the story are different, for sure.

9. therrreader 21 April 2011 at 11:59 pm Reply

True, most times you can judge the cover, other times you get a surprise! lol
    Here’s my approach: http://readingromances.wordpress.com/2011/04/21/thursdays-events/