Musing Mondays – Must-Buy

This week’s Musing Mondays, hosted by MizB at Should Be Reading:

What’s at the top of your must-buy list, right now? (or, if you don’t wait — if you’re more impulsive — what books have you recently purchased?)

Well. I bought 3 more of David Mitchell’s novels (Black Swan Green, number9dream and Ghostwritten) because of how much I loved The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet.

Then yesterday I went to the Notting Hill Book Exchange and purchased quite a few books (simply because they were 50p each… I picked up 5 Anita Brookners for the Anita Brookner Day in July) – but the one that I absolutely absolutely had to have was A Red Herring Without Mustard, the latest of the Flavia de Luce mysteries – I have loved the first two (The Sweetness At the Bottom of the Pie and The Weed That Strings The Hangman’s Bag).

6 thoughts on “Musing Mondays – Must-Buy

1. caite@a lovely shore breeze 18 April 2011 at 5:45 pm Reply

I read The Sweetness At the Bottom of the Pie ..but didn’t love it enough to read the second.

• readingwithtea 18 April 2011 at 7:41 pm Reply

I know a few people have been underwhelmed, so you are not alone there.

2. Annie 18 April 2011 at 5:51 pm Reply

I shall have to wait for the new Flavia de Luce to come into the library, but like you, I shall have to read it.

Have you read Mitchell’s ‘Cloud Atlas’?

• readingwithtea 18 April 2011 at 7:42 pm Reply

I haven’t read Cloud Atlas – but I do own it, which is why I didn’t buy it in Foyles. I’m a little scared about reading more of his work, in the fear that I don’t love it as much!

3. verity 20 April 2011 at 9:47 am Reply

isn’t the Notting Hill book exchange fab? I have apile of books to take there and can’t wait to get more things!

• readingwithtea 20 April 2011 at 5:05 pm Reply

I love the NHBE. The staff are rude but I’m not going to complain at 50p a book… and the “several pound” stock is so high quality. I’m astonished that they are profitable at those prices but I guess their staff costs are about zero…