BTT – Visual

This week’s Booking Through Thursday:

So … the books that you own (however many there may be) … do you display them proudly right there in plain sight for all the world to see? (At least the world that comes into your living room.)

Or do you keep them tucked away in your office or bedroom or library or closet or someplace less “public?”

Firstly, I have lots of books, and nowhere near enough.

(ok, not quite this many – photo credit)

Secondly, recognising that my ability to buy books far outstrips my pace of reading them, my husband placed a limit on the number of books I could keep in our flat (which is, admittedly, not huge) – I may fill one 6-foot IKEA Billy bookcase. And one only.

That bookcase is now not only completely full, but every shelf is double-stacked and there is usually one book tucked in above the vertically-shelved ones, and (until we had a major damp issue and we kept having to move the bookcases to get at the damp wall) there was a huge stack of books on top of the bookcase too. Those are now in a large box.

With the excuse that the bottom (large) shelf of my bookcase has all our filing stuff in it, and therefore cannot be used for proper book storage, my desk usually has 10-20 books floating around on it too…

So yes, the book obsession is very much on view for the public to see.

However, I get so excited when I go to other people’s houses and browse their bookshelves that I love having all of my own (or at least the front ones, that you can see!) on display. I would find it pretty strange to tuck my books away where they can’t be seen. I’m not ashamed of my books!

One day, I will have a library like this:

(photo credit)

and then I will have plenty of space!

18 thoughts on “BTT – Visual

1. verity 7 April 2011 at 12:23 pm Reply

eeek – that is a harsh condition impose upon you! I would love to have your sunflower seed recipe please if you had time to send it to me…

• readingwithtea 7 April 2011 at 12:38 pm Reply

Definitely – I will email it to you when I am home again tomorrow.

2. The Book Mystress 7 April 2011 at 12:34 pm Reply

wow two amazing pictures *wants* lol i read slow and buy like 6 books a fourtnight, i think they may eat me one day

• readingwithtea 7 April 2011 at 12:40 pm Reply

Now I’m fretting about carniverous bookcases…

3. Sally 7 April 2011 at 2:33 pm Reply

One day I will have a library like that too!
    Sally.

4. Lori 7 April 2011 at 4:11 pm Reply

I would love to have a library that extensive…and the house to have it. I like to show mine off. Check out my response for this week’s Booking Through Thursday.

5. Mary Ann Langan 7 April 2011 at 4:56 pm Reply

Wow! very large library.

Stop and see mine and my giveaways.

6. mostraum 7 April 2011 at 5:20 pm Reply

Oh my, one Billy bookshelf. I couldn’t have lived with that. Luckily my partner is as bad as I am, so there’s a lot of bookshelves in our home.

• readingwithtea 7 April 2011 at 5:23 pm Reply

He does have a point – I’ve read maybe half a shelf of what’s in that Billy bookcase!

7. DawnTreader 7 April 2011 at 5:40 pm Reply
  8. BermudaOnion 7 April 2011 at 11:03 pm Reply

I’m wondering if we’re related. I don’t think it’s possible to have too many books either.

9. Joy Weese Moll 8 April 2011 at 1:59 am Reply

Oh I love your dream library!

10. Stefanie 8 April 2011 at 2:08 pm Reply

Thanksfully my husband shares my book passion and books are on full view in every room of the house. I do like your future library very much!

• readingwithtea 8 April 2011 at 6:32 pm Reply

My husband is a big reader himself but hasn’t got the “I want to read that book, I must buy it now!! even if I don’t get to read it for a few years” bug.

11. Joanne 8 April 2011 at 7:41 pm Reply

Over the past couple of years I’ve had to make a pact with myself to get rid of old books as new ones come into the house, just so we’re not completely overwhelmed with books! I swap them through a book swapping site.

• readingwithtea 8 April 2011 at 8:54 pm Reply

I do get rid of books pretty much as soon as I read them – I use BookMooch – but I buy much faster than I read!

12. Sarah 9 April 2011 at 7:43 pm Reply

The OH and I fit in as many shelves as possible and then squabble over who is hogging the most space! BTW, loving your spangly new re-housed blog 🙂