Musing Mondays –

This week’s Musing Mondays (hosted by Should Be Reading) question is:

When you were little, did other children tease you about your reading habits?

Well, my older cousin nicknamed me Matilda for a little while, after the Roald Dahl character: (photo credit)

There are plenty of stories from my childhood which involve books, including my parents asking my kindergarten teacher if I might be permitted to read instead of taking my afternoon nap, and the teacher being firmly convinced that I could not read (as in, was not able) as I was under school age (the German education system was not terribly enlightened in the early 1990s). Once this misunderstanding was resolved and it was shown that I could, in fact, read books in two languages, I was permitted to sit quietly and read instead of napping. Result!

I don’t remember getting much hassle from other kids about reading – but I was an only child until my sister came along when I was 9, and we lived way out in the country (as far as one can, in south-east England) so there weren’t all that many kids around to hassle me!

I pretty much gave up reading for fun between the ages of 12 and 22 so I missed out a bit there, but now I’m properly back in the reading way, and still not getting much hassle for it!

10 thoughts on “Musing Mondays –

1. Larissa 4 April 2011 at 9:29 am Reply

My primary school teacher sat me down one day and gently suggested that I should spend at least recess OR lunch playing with the other kids, instead of sitting in my favourite sunny corner and reading. She insisted that the morning bus ride, before school time, after school time, and the bus ride home should leave me plenty of reading time… I disagreed.

2. caite@a lovely shore breeze 4 April 2011 at 11:01 am Reply

ten years with no fun reading?? shocking! :-O

• readingwithtea 4 April 2011 at 2:52 pm Reply

I know! I just got too busy with school and uni and work…

3. Joanne 4 April 2011 at 1:47 pm Reply

My mother was the one who hassled me about my reading. She thought I should be outside playing.

• readingwithtea 4 April 2011 at 2:47 pm Reply

My parents were quite happy to let me read. Even at £6 for a book that would keep me occupied for 2-3 hours, that was a lot cheaper than a babysitter!

4. carabossesbakeshop 4 April 2011 at 1:53 pm Reply

Reading instead of napping, cool!
    Here’s mine:

• readingwithtea 4 April 2011 at 2:50 pm Reply

I still hate naps and will refuse in a childish voice when it is suggested that I might feel better after a little lie-down. Refusing to grow up? Me?

5. Lisa (Books and Cooks) 4 April 2011 at 5:45 pm Reply

Great answer!! I was never teased about reading aside from my parents occasionally stating that I was probably off somewhere with my nose stuck in a book. But I think they were pleased I took such an interest.

6. readingwithtea 4 April 2011 at 6:01 pm Reply

Parents and teachers are a recurring theme in the comments – rather than other children!