BTT – Cheating

Btt2 This week's question from Booking Through Thursday: Do you cheat and peek at the ends of books?

I did this once when I was 10 and peeked at the end of my copy of "Around the World in 80 Days", discovered the ending, and swore never to do it again!

Books I could have ruined by peeking at the ending:

Charlotte Brontë – Jane Eyre

Anything adventurous – Clive Cussler, Dan Brown, Andy Berenson…

Stieg Larsson's "The Girl…" trilogy

Ian McEwan – Atonement

Penelope Fitzgerald – The Bookshop

Books where the ending is blindingly predictable and/or uninteresting:

Anne Brontë – The Tenant of Wildfell Hall

Emily Brontë – Wuthering Heights

Vanessa Farquharson – Sleeping Naked is Green

Penelope Lively – Moon Tiger

Ian McEwan – Solar

So as you can see, there is a fair split between "ending is crucial" and "ending is not a big deal" – but I still don't want to spoil the book!

7 thoughts on “BTT – Cheating

1. Lisa M831 3 March 2011 at 12:35 pm Reply

Thanks for sharing the books. This was a great idea! Here is my answer. http://bookskidsanimalsandmore.blogspot.com/2011/03/booking-through-thursday.html

2. randomizeME 3 March 2011 at 12:46 pm Reply

Interesting contrast you got there. Loved that you took the time to give examples to differentiate them 🙂
    Here’s my Cheating (Booking Through Thursday) post!

3. DawnTreader 3 March 2011 at 2:40 pm Reply
  4. Dragonflyy419 3 March 2011 at 2:56 pm Reply

I love the list of books you put up there that is brilliant! No matter how crucial the ending is, I’m with you and I don’t like spoiling a book.

5. mary Ann Langan 3 March 2011 at 5:21 pm Reply

sometimes I look ahead, but I don’t consider it cheating.

6. Yvann 4 March 2011 at 11:29 am Reply

Thanks for commenting everyone – I’m intrigued by the differences between us!

7. Larissa 4 March 2011 at 1:29 pm Reply

Sometimes I cheat and look ahead, but usually only when the book is taking forever to get to the end. Occasionally, the ending has been a surprise, and instead of giving up on the book, I end up sticking it out to see how the author managed to get there! So sometimes it works!