Musing Mondays – thinking

Musing Mondays, hosted by MizB at Should Be Reading, is:

Musing Mondays asks you to muse about one of the following each week…

• Describe one of your reading habits.
• Tell us what book(s) you recently bought for yourself or someone else, and why you chose that/those book(s).
• What book are you currently desperate to get your hands on? Tell us about it!
• Tell us what you’re reading right now — what you think of it, so far; why you chose it; what you are (or, aren’t) enjoying it.
• Do you have a bookish rant? Something about books or reading (or the industry) that gets your ire up? Share it with us!
• Instead of the above questions, maybe you just want to ramble on about something else pertaining to books — let’s hear it, then!

I write this at a Starbucks (where else) near King’s Cross station while I wait for my client to unlock their front door so I can go in and work there.

I’ve just written short reviews (to go up on Wednesday) for two books which I have not finished recently and I am going to leave them on my table here in the cafe for someone else to pick up and hopefully enjoy more than I did. I am a great proponent of book abandonment.

At the moment, really quite enjoying Philippa Gregory’s A Respectable Trade – I won’t pretend it’s highbrow literature but eminently readable and teaching me things about the British slave trade (all I currently know about it is what I learnt from watching Amazing Grace which is a beautiful film that you should all watch, not least because it has Ioan Gruffudd, Benedict Cumberbatch and Romola Garai in it).

Having moved house I’m accepting review copies again and my goodness are they piling up on the desk. I’ve got a bit of work to do!

About these ads

9 thoughts on “Musing Mondays – thinking

1. kerrieanns January 20, 2014 at 4:18 pm Reply

I love book abandonment. It can be such a joy to find a book waiting to be devoured :P

2. Valentina January 20, 2014 at 5:04 pm Reply

I love that you leave books for other people to find :)

3. Rosa Silva January 20, 2014 at 5:25 pm Reply

Book abandonment is a cool idea. I’m not that original – I usually donate the books I don’t want to keep to my local library.

4. cleopatralovesbooks January 20, 2014 at 6:39 pm Reply

I leave books for others to find. I like the thought of someone finding something that they enjoy and the sheer randomness of where a book may end up! Have fun catching up on your reading :-)

• readingwithtea January 20, 2014 at 9:49 pm Reply

I’ve never been tempted by Bookcrossing but maybe I should try it out?

5. librarylady January 20, 2014 at 6:56 pm Reply

I also love Phillipa Gregory. Her books are always good light reads that keep you turning pages. The abandoning books idea is interesting. do you put a note on it so people know it’s up for grabs? Also, We have an ongoing booksale at our public library, and they always take donations.

• readingwithtea January 20, 2014 at 9:48 pm Reply

I’ve tried to donate books to libraries but they won’t take them here in London! I should definitely put a note in them – “please read me, my previous owner didn’t love me”…

6. Faraziyya January 20, 2014 at 8:02 pm Reply

i instantly googling ‘amazing grace’ and would like to watch it ;)