So Alex over at The Sleepless Reader had the brilliant idea of reading Sense and Sensibility this year, to celebrate 200 years since its publication. I jumped all over her idea and came up with Advent with Austen, my very first themed reading event! My beautiful co-hosts (Nymeth, Iris on Books, Teadevotee and Alex) and I have agreed on the following rules:
1. Advent with Austen runs for all of Advent, starting on the first Sunday of Advent, 27 Nov (which incidentally, is the earliest that Advent can start – which means that my birthday on 23 Nov is never quite in Advent… I digress) and ending on Christmas Eve. Let’s face it, on Christmas Day we’re all going to be nose-deep in the books our nearest and dearest have bought for us to do any actual blogging.
2. During this time, to participate, you must read or watch Austen-related items. Books and films can be anything: by her, about her (non-fiction), modern reimaginings (e.g. Captain Wentworth’s Diary; Becoming Jane), even Sense & Sensibility & Sea Monsters.
3. The available levels of participation are:
(1 book = 1 point, 1 film = 1 point, 1 TV adaptation (much longer than a film) = 2 points, 1 blog post about an Austen-related experience, e.g. visits to Chawton = 1 point)
1 point: Aunt Norris
2 points: Mr Collins
3 -4 points: Mr Bingley
5-6 points: Captain Wentworth
7 or above: Mr Darcy
There may or may not be a giveaway for the most points. Any giveaway will be coming off my own shelves, hence the doubt. To be confirmed closer to the time.
3. You can read along on my schedule below (in which case, let me know, and we can have some joint posts and Twitter-chat and so on), read everything she ever wrote, read just a tiny little bit – all commitment levels are welcome!
Yvann’s ambitious Austen adventures
27 Nov to 18 Dec (ongoing) – Sense & Sensibility
27 Nov to 3 Dec – Claire Harman’s Jane’s Fame
4 Dec – 10 Dec – Lady Susan
11 Dec – 17 Dec – Love and Freindship
18 Dec – 24 Dec – Claire Tomalin’s Jane Austen: A Life
5. Sunday nights, starting from 6pm UK time (apologies to any Australian participants, but if you’re up early enough on Monday, we’ll probably still be awake…), in Advent will be for group-watching Austen films/TV and a bit of Twitter-chat with the hashtag #AWAusten. Choice of viewing will be made by the benevolent oligarchy, but we’ll take suggestions
I think that’s all, do sign up on the Mr Linky and/or let me know in the comments below if this sounds like something you’d be interested in doing!